Friday, June 5, 2015

CassaStorm (a book review post)

If you would like to see my review of CassaStar, go here.
If you would like to see my review of CassaFire, go here.

The first and most obvious thing to be said about CassaStorm is that it's an obvious effort by the author, Alex Cavanaugh, to expand the universe he established in the previous two books. We find out that Tgren does, indeed, have more than one city on it and even get a peek at the other races only hinted at previously. And the end provides an explanation for some of the things that haven't made the most sense in the series overall, like the significantly low populations of the races.

There are ways the explanation creates more questions, but that's okay. Leaving questions unanswered is not something I necessarily have a problem with.

'Storm also rounds out the relationship progression of the other two books. 'Star deals with friendship, 'Fire deals with romance, and 'Storm deals with parenthood. As with the other two books, Byron has to figure out how it's supposed to work. The only issue with this idea in 'Storm is how it contrasts to the other two books. Both of the other books deal with Byron and initial meetings (first with Bassa, then with Athee) and 'Storm, in many ways, follows that pattern. The problem is that his son, Bassan, is already 10, and there are parts where it's like Byron has no idea of how to interact with his son in the same way as with someone you are just meeting.

This is both a strength and a weakness in the book, because in actuality Byron doesn't have any idea who his son is. It's clear that he's one of those who father's from a distance, and he is, in fact, learning who his son is. The problem is that there don't seem to be any clearly established patterns in their relationship as is usually the case. Neither the son nor the father ever seem like they know what to expect from the other.

There are a few interesting wrinkles in this book, like the introduction of the Rogue, which I didn't see coming. That's a big positive for me, because most books fall into established patterns making it difficult for me to find books that aren't fairly predictable. Possibly, the biggest issue I had with 'Fire is that I knew what was going to happen throughout the book; nothing was surprising. However, with 'Storm, every time I thought I had what was going to happen figured out, there would be some new wrinkle. It made the book a worthwhile read just to figure out where he was going with the story.

Basically, if you read the previous two books and liked them, you should definitely read this one. I can't see how it could be a disappointment. It's even possible that this book could be read as a stand alone, because any background information needed is provided. Sure, the other two provide a bigger picture, but I don't think they're necessary.

Look, this isn't deep or philosophical. It's pretty straightforward space opera in a Star Trek kind of vein. It deals as much with relationships as it does with space battles, but that serves to strengthen the book in overall sense, not weaken it. Hmm... Still, if you want space battles, CassaStar is probably the book for you if you haven't already read it. Not that there aren't space battles in 'Storm, but it's, ultimately, a different kind of story.

31 comments:

  1. Big score that I could actually surprise you!
    Thanks, Andrew, and glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to be surprised. I haven't read this one yet. I'm way behind on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.J.: Is there such a thing as not being behind on reading?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun. I always like space operas and surprises are always a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne: Yeah, not being able to predict everything is certainly a good sign.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like another winner for Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: It seems to be doing pretty well.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read any of them. I should probably get on that.

      Delete
  5. "The doctors were puzzled by the fact that it wasn't quite jaundice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briane: I'm assuming that's in relation to the space battles, but I haven't read Catch 22, yet, so I'm not sure.

      Delete
    2. I have no idea what that means either.

      Delete
  6. This is a fair enough revue as it seems honest. I haven't read this one yet though I did read the first two.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee: Well, you should probably finish them off, then.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, this is a book I've read. I generally liked it. I still would have expected a different review from you, based on...everything that you've talked about recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony: I'm not sure I know what you mean. I thought it feel in between the other two books, though quite a bit better than 'Fire. And I thought he did a good job sort of wrapping up the universe as far as stories go.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but...the actual writing, from a strictly honest perspective, could be said to be less than ideal. The story tends to drag. I would expect you to have said something like that. It could just be that we have different experiences.

      Delete
    3. Anyway, so I end up confused. No big deal. No further comment.

      Delete
    4. Tony: The thing that bothered me this time was stuff like "the midday meal," which seemed more excessive or something to me, but that language was present in the previous two books and is part of the world, and I wasn't bothered by it in either of the other two, so I had to chalk that up to just me, this time.

      Delete
  8. I have enjoyed all Alex's books. Have you read Dragon of the Stars yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo: I have not, and it will probably be a few months before it gets into the rotation.

      Delete
  9. Great, review, Andrew. Loved it. Not only is your honest review evident, you handle comments like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T.: Thanks! I do try to do my best with comments (except when I go out of town, which makes the timing of your comment somewhat ironic).

      Delete
  10. I follow Alex on his blog but - shame on me - haven't read any of his books. Your review I think would attract my husband who enjoys Sci-fi more than I do, based on that - I'll put on his TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally: Well, it's really going to depend upon the type of sci-fi he likes. Space Opera is its own kind of thing.

      Delete
  11. Space opera isn't my bag, but this one sounds like it's got some heart-to-heart issues with dad and son. That's kinda fun!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica: I still think he did the best job with the first one with the friendship dynamic. It feels the most natural.

      Delete
  12. All around good review. Well done.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, terrific review. I just might have to give the first one a try.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parsnip: I would say the first one is definitely worth giving a try.

      Delete