Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Clone Wars -- "Counter Attack" (Ep. 3.19)

-- Anything that can go wrong will.


[Remember, you can sign up to join the Clone Wars Project at any time by clicking this link.]


This is an all action episode as Anakin and Obi-Wan continue their efforts to rescue Jedi Master Even Piell and not-yet-Grand-Moff Tarkin from the Citadel. To say that it's rough going would be an understatement, as the opening quote reveals. They don't end up better than they started.

Thinking about this arc of episodes, I think they are to balance the previous arc, which was slower and more thoughtful. I guess you follow an arc like that with one that is mostly action but, again, I'm reminded, we're doing a prisoner rescue. Interestingly, Tarkin makes a comment about how well designed the prison is in regards to how difficult it's being for them to get out. A bit of foreshadowing for you.

There is one brief moment of philosophical exchange between Anakin and Tarkin about the effectiveness of the Jedi. It's enlightening, to say the least. And it's interesting to watch the seeds being planted for the relationship between the two men, especially considering Tarkin's view on the Jedi.

All of that said, there's nothing essential in the viewing of these episodes. They're just action fun after what was a pretty heavy on the metaphysics story.

I'm not going to pull the links, but there's also more of our misfit clone trooper squad. For good and ill.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this arc for the Anakin-Tarkin banter. I tire of prison breaks but it's actually been a little while since we had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: I wasn't overly enthused about this arc, this time. I remember liking it much more the first time I watched, which was because of Tarkin. I guess I wasn't in the mood for something that was basically all action this time through.

      Delete
    2. Yup, I can totally understand that. I just finished the General Krell story (yes, I'm a bit ahead - trying to get a jump on the fall). What is really quite a strong story occasionally actually loses energy when it gets too bogged down in battle mode.

      Delete
    3. TAS: You're actually ahead of me for once. It was a very busy July. I plan to finish season three this week, though.

      Delete
    4. I'm hoping to get at least through November.

      Delete