Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Big Sick (a movie review post)

Have you seen Silicon Valley? You should see Silicon Valley; I love it.
Which has nothing to do with The big sick other than that Kumail Nanjiani is in it, and that's where I first came across him. He's pretty great, actually. The relationship between his character, Dinesh, and Gilfoyle is possibly the best part of the show for me, and I love Silicon Valley. Did I say that already?

So, anyway, when I heard that Kumail was doing a movie... Not just in a movie, but doing a movie. He wrote the movie, too, along with his wife, Emily Gordon, so he wrote and starred in The big sick, and... and it's a fictionalized true story about how he met his wife.

So why should we care about that, you might be asking yourself. Well, a few reasons.
1. It's a touching story.
2. It deals with the complexities of interracial relationships.
3. And intercultural relationships.
4. And, especially, what it's like to be from a Muslim family growing up in the United States. [I use the term "growing up" loosely since Kumail was already 18 when he moved to the US to go to college.]
5. Not to mention that Kumail is a stand-up comic, so it's funny. And romantic. You know, a romantic comedy, and there aren't too many of these around anymore.

Kumail is from Pakistan and plays himself in the movie. His not-yet-wife Emily, who is from North Carolina, is played by Zoe Kazan. That should be enough to tell you that there will be... issues.

Surprisingly, the larger issues for the relationship are from Kumail's side of the family because his mother is determined that he should marry a good Pakistani girl and is working on arranging a marriage for him. Not that the problems are actually because of his family; they're not. The problems are because Kumail neglects to tell his family that he's dating a white girl. And he continues to meet these women his mother is trying to set him up with.

Those dates are more like job interviews. Seriously, they bring what can only be called resumes accompanied by a head shot.

And that should be enough to get you started.

Nanjiani is great in the movie. Of course, he is playing himself (remember: true story), so I suppose you could say that the role was written just for him. Especially since he co-wrote it. Kazan is also good. But I think the true gem of the movie is Holly Hunter. She plays Emily's mother, and she's wonderful.

Oh, also, Ray Romano is in the movie as Emily's father, and he's good, too. Which actually says a lot, because I don't particularly like Romano. Not that I dislike him, per se, but I always thought Everybody Loves Raymond was pretty dumb, so I never developed any kind of liking for him. But he's good in this.

The bottom line is that you should see this movie. No, seriously, see the movie.

The other bottom line is that this movie represents all that is good about America and what America stands for. Kumail Nanjiani is a more valuable member of our society than Trump has ever been or could hope to be. Nanjiani adds value to society and to the world while Trump is just a leech, a parasite, taking value from everything he can to engorge himself only.

11 comments:

  1. This movie on my Must-See list. Glad you enjoyed it.

    And I've only seen a few episodes of Silicon Valley thus far, but it really does make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.J.: It's a great show. It really makes me laugh. A lot. The first two seasons especially. After that it leans more into the painfully awkward, but it's still a great show.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a fake-true account of him and his wife meeting. Hopefully it will show up on Netflix someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Silicon Valley is on some channel I don't get. I follow him on Twitter. (I know. Doesn't count.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this, but it will probably be a couple weeks. I had no idea it was a fake-true story, though. The preview looks funny, and I'm a Holly Hunter fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon: Make sure you catch it before it leaves.

      Delete
  5. This is one I'll probably watch on Netflix or something; it sounds good, just not 'get a babysitter and go out on the town' good. Not enough lightsabers or superheroes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you said you left replies for posts but then I got busy so I'll just leave them unre-re-plied for now.

    ReplyDelete